Naija @ 50


So I took the last couple of weeks to research and try to pick “The naija song” that best captures how far we have come as a nation. It wasn’t exactly easy, as I discovered that there are tons of songs out there that have talked about the ills and the struggles of naija as a nation. Ordinarily we should be celebrating at 50, but when you really sit and think about it, what is there to be hype about? Frankly, the only sector that has continually improved and found a way to re-invent it’s self has been the naija music industry. I am not exactly saying that all the tracks and tons of albums that are being turned out on a daily basis are cool, but out of every 10, you would probably find one reasonable and sensible song worth listening to. Nigerians have also been able to make their mark in the global music industry, from the Late Fela Kuti, Tunde Bayero (Lighthouse family), Seal, Asa, 2face, King Sunny Ade and a host of others have all put naija in the spot light in one way or the other.

Here are a couple of songs that came to mind:

Funmi Adams – Nigeria

Bongos Ikwe - Nigeria is 25

Banky W - Waving Flag

Sunny Okosun – Which Way Nigeria

Wande Coal – Se Na Like This

Veno Mariogbe – Nigeria Go Survive

Ebenezer Obey – Nigeria Si Ma Dun

King Sunny Ade – The Way Forward

Ras Kimono – Whatta Gwan

2face – E Be Like Say

Tunji Oyelana – Yi O Si Da

Prof Wole Soyinka – I Love My Country (Etike Revolution)

Fela Kuti – Suffering & Smiling

I know there are more out there. Feel free to drop me a mail or post a comment with your thoughts and suggestions. Happy Independence day, Please keep waiving that flag!

1 comment:

  1. Hiya, I was searching the web looking for Nigerian art/cartoons to post on my blog when I came across Likembe with a link to yours. I appreciate 9ja music as well and have a mixtape on my blog. Your blog is really great please if you have the time visit mine and if you like it put a link, www.9javatar.blogspot.com. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete